Re: [MV] M1009 Question - A/C

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 18:49:54 PDT

Hello all,

I have been through quite a mess with m1009 wiring, so I will use what I
have learned to help awnser the questions. I see no problem in installing a
12v A/C system in a CUCV from the electrical standpoint. The charging system
is already setup to run 12 volt accesories. All of the lights, heater
motors, etc, in a CUCV are 12v. To my knowledge, the only 24 volt items are
the starter and the glow plug system. How they get away with this is with
the dual alternators, and it is why the battery pack can be safely, from the
factory, half tapped. So the 0-12volt alternator is keeping the 0-12volt
battery charged, which runs lights, etc, everything except the glow plug and
starting systems. The 2nd alternator runs the 12-12volt system, and keeps
the 2nd battery chanrged for the glow and starter. You cannot use the 2nd
battery for 12 volt accesories, even though it is a 12 volt system, because
the negative is really the positive of the 12 volt system, so if your power
inverter or any other accesory hits any metal part of the frame, your going
to have a fireworks show. Now to awnser Jeff's question. No, you cannot have
one 24v alternator charging the 2 batteries in a CUCV, because the 12v loads
will make the batteries become unblanced, and you will have a dead battery
VERY shortly. Everything would haveto be switched to 24v, which I think none
of us would want to tackle. The military put the 24 v starting and glow
system so the cucv could be slaved off of a 24 volt M35A2, etc, and be
started with the slave cable so the alternators can do thier job. If anyone
notices any errors in my thinking or explanation, please flame on!

Caleb Pal

Military Vehicles I regularly drive or own:

1952 GMC XM211 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck W/Winch (Mine)

1952 GMC M135 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck (Mine)

1984 M1009 "CUCV" 3/4 Ton Multi-Purpose Vehicle (Mine)

1986 M1008 "CUCV" 1 1/4 Ton Truck (FD)

1971 M35A2 AMG 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck (FD)

1954 M107A2 400 Gallon Water Buffalo (FD)

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute,
or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or