Re: [MV] 4th of July...+ 2 cents on Canibals

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 20:52:50 PDT

At 2:52 PM -0700 7/1/04, paul carrier wrote:
>Do you happen to remmeber the name of that book ?
>Replacement filters would fall under class IX monies.
>Masks are class VII but would be purchased with the moines from
>a units class II budget. That's why my last unit had some serious
>ERC A shortages. We just couldn't afford to buy them.

It was something like Nuclear Biological and
Chemical Warfare in Modern Battlespace or some
such. Black book, red cover. I'll have to dig
around my book collection tomorrow to find it. It
might be lent out, I hope it's not. It was one of
those books that's amazing because it covers the
entire set of issues with every portion of the
massive rush that was the lead into the 1st Gulf
War. They even take a chapter to discuss
Germany's contribution of the Fox NBC Recce
vehicle and how it was such a night and day
difference with the ability of the mass
spectrometer's to accurately determine the
presence or absence of the Chemical agents. The
number of false positives with the CAMs was
beyond making troops jumpy or inured to the NBC
Alarms.

>I hope he went to see the medics, atropine is as dangerious as the
>nerve agent if there has not been exposure to nerve agent.

He was an instructor and knew the side effects
apparently. He was healthy enough that it was
clear he needed to take a lie down and get
checked by a Medic every so often, but basically
he was out of pocket from then on out. "General,
that's how you inject yourself...and I'm going to
go lie down now"...or some such.

>IIRC they can be wired to operate from a vehicle batt.

But the hand held units weren't designed to be
rigged on 24/7. Which many troops did. The
ability to determine false positives from true
positives was tricky. So many oil fires caused a
massive number of false positives.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)