RE: [MV] Off Topic: Nat'l Guard Redeployment

From: paul carrier (paulc@teleport.com)
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 20:25:18 PDT

We are trained to the same standard as active duty troops. We attend the
same schools (in some cases now active duty troops are attending NG and AR
run schools).

Our equipment is the same, sometimes recieved new from the factory.

> I know this is off topic, and apologize for it, but I've been wondering
> about this since we went back into Iraq. And this list tracks military
> matters closely. I have not seen anything about this in the press or on
> the radio. I know our forces were down sized tremendously but why are NG
> troops being killed when we have active duty troops available all around
> the world? And to get home and be 're-deployed'...

Ecept there isn't some mass of active troops worldwide.
Korea has onle two brigades of an Infantry division, the third is stationed
at Ft Lewis and now deployed to Iraq. One of the South Korean stationed
brigades will deploy to Iraq this fall.
Germany has only one corp stationed there nowdays, and 1 Infantry Division
is currently deployed to Iraq.
The 82nd has one brigade in Afganistan, one reconstituting and one on
standby.
The 101st is back from Iraq and reconstituting
The 3rd ID is back and currently reorganizing into the new 5 "unit of
action" (brigade) structure.

> Were the Guard so widely used in the first Iraq war? In Vietnam?

Gulf War 1a saw 200K+ national guard and army reserve troops deploy. To
include field artillary brigades.
Few got called up during Vietnam, Pres Johnson lacked the will to do so,
IMHO.