[MV] Off Topic: Nat'l Guard Redeployment

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 13:26:46 PDT

I have found it really odd that the NG has been sent to Iraq to fight a
war when we have troops all over the world who ARE trained and equipped
to do so who have not been. Growing up my impression was that the Guard
was here to help with domestic problems and Possibly to relieve active
duty forces so that those forces could go fight an action..

I know this is off topic, and apologize for it, but I've been wondering
about this since we went back into Iraq. And this list tracks military
matters closely. I have not seen anything about this in the press or on
the radio. I know our forces were down sized tremendously but why are NG
troops being killed when we have active duty troops available all around
the world? And to get home and be 're-deployed'...

Were the Guard so widely used in the first Iraq war? In Vietnam?

Thanks

          Paul

*********************

Hadn't seen that about units getting tapped to deploy again. I saw the
bit about calling up from the Inactive ready reserve. And I know there
are some who deployed on Homeland security missions who then went with
units overseas. And I know we are short some types of units needed at
this time. But I don't think a draft would solve anything, except maybe
to get "K" elected. The active duty folks I talk to aren't interested in
a draft, TRADOC isn't set up to train huge numbers of draftees, there
isn't the infrastructure to support a large influx of draftees and you
will note the only one with any political will to suggest it has bee
Charels Rangle.