RE: [MV] Off Topic: Nat'l Guard Redeployment

From: Doc Scheffler (roughdoc@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2004 - 17:50:19 PDT

I've resisted responding to this topic for a while, but have to throw my two
cents worth in.

Not to brag, but I spent seven months in Afghanistan with the 82nd Airborne
Division, and upon return, went to Iraq, where I spent five months in
Fallujah.

(MV Content: I took lots of MV pictures and they are posted on NCMVPA.org)

I'm not sure what positive purpose griping about the wars serves. I'm not
sure what positive purpose bitching about the senior leadership serves. I
do know that to the grunt on the ground, all it does is hurt his morale.

I talked to a lot of soldiers over there. Clerks, cooks, combat arms, etc.
Folks in the reserves, National Guard, and active duty. To a man/woman,
those who thought that they were doing the job they enlisted for, had good
morale. Most want to feel that they were part of something good. That
their suffering and even loss of life was worth something.

My most humbling experience of my life was hitching a ride on a C-141 home
from Kuwait. The plane was rigged up for carrying litter patients. Almost
40 men and women who had been wounded in the war. Not a one was whining.

If you don't like how the war is going, then vote for someone else in
November. I personally have never figured out how to argue against a war
once it is started, without hurting the morale of those young men and women
who have to fight in it.

With the recent dedication of the WWII memorial, we were reminded of what
many have called the greatest generation. Yes, they suffered terribly in
Europe and Asia. But think of the advantages they had. No one constantly
griping about Roosevelt. No one questioning the cause. No one doubting
that their mission was good and just.

This generation of America's warriors deserves the same from us.

Doc