Re: [MV] [Politics] Tea and crumpets

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 22:49:42 PDT

Ryan Gill wrote:

> Naah. They actually started putting boiling
> vessels that run off the vehicle inside. Early
> British AFVs had a water tank inside for the
> crew.

 Was this a water-to-water heat exchanger, heated by the engine coolant? Was
the coolant flow valved, so the water heater could be shut off?

> Post war you started seeing a boiling
> vessel that would run off vehicle power but was
> portable away from the vehicle.

I assume this was electric?

> Then they built
> it into the vehicle. In the case of the FV432,
> its in the rear crew door.
>
> Imagine if every Abrams and Bradly had a coffee
> maker in it....crews would be wired through out
> the day (and happy I'm sure...). Though the thing
> is, the US has started to add a boiling vessel in
> the Bradleys for heating water and MREs.

Electric? If you are going to provide hot food and drink for the troops, this is
certainly less muss and fuss than a trioxane stove. Also, if you are in a CW or
BW environment, not having to go outside is certainly a plus.

> I wonder when AFVs are going to get a pee tube
> for recycling all that tea and coffee those crews
> are starting to drink more and more....

If you've got waste heat, it could easily be used to distill water. OTOH, the
'YUK' factor might be hard to overcome. NASA certainly recycles water on
spacecraft.

-John