[MV] Tea under armour

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 23:05:28 PDT

>At 1:49 AM -0400 7/9/04, J. Forster wrote:
> Was this a water-to-water heat exchanger, heated by the engine coolant? Was
>the coolant flow valved, so the water heater could be shut off?

The early ones were resistive. I'm not sure what
the current crop are...The ones for the Ferret,
Saracen/Saladin/Stalwart and other bigger AFVs
were electric off of the 24 volt. The problem
with the ones on the Ferrets was the resistive
load could quickly drain the battery so they were
all pulled from use. The larger vehicles with
more battery power seemed to do ok.

> > Post war you started seeing a boiling
>> vessel that would run off vehicle power but was
>> portable away from the vehicle.
>
>I assume this was electric?

Initially yes. The US seems to like using fuel
fired boiling vessels with all of the associated
issues of poisonous gases and such.. I'm not sure
what they keep thinking with that...when they add
them at all.

>Electric? If you are going to provide hot food
>and drink for the troops, this is
>certainly less muss and fuss than a trioxane
>stove. Also, if you are in a CW or
>BW environment, not having to go outside is certainly a plus.

Yep! It's less time spent doing comfort/survival
things by the troops and if you can make hot food
while on the move, it's even better for your
crews.

>If you've got waste heat, it could easily be used to distill water. OTOH, the
>'YUK' factor might be hard to overcome. NASA certainly recycles water on
>spacecraft.

Give it time. Modern Military engines certainly
have lots of waste heat, however, I'm not certain
how easy it is to clean such devices...perhaps a
disposable distilling element?

When one thinks about it, it seems clear that the
brits often have the best ideas when it comes to
tanks. After all, they did invent the beasts.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)