Re: [MV] Vandalism / respect

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 06:28:06 PDT

    It is very hard to be involved in this hobby without being open to sharing your vehicles with those who want to know more about them. However, there are many people who just don't respect other people's property, or they do not make a conscious effort to respect someone else's property. Example: I once had a big-block Nova at a car show. Right after I parked it, a guy walked over and started talking to the car owner next to me. While talking, he started to lean back and put his hand behind him like he was feeling for the wall he was going to lean against. The only problem was that the wall was going to be my car. When I barked out "Please don't lean on the car!", he snapped up and indignantly said he wasn't leaning on it. Yeah, that's only because I caught him in time. I also made a nice stink on this list a few years ago when I complained about how my M35A2 was treated by some show judges. Not to open that can of worms again, let's just say that judges are hobbyists themselves, so I did not expect it.
    I do not, as a general rule, let people in the driver's seat of my vehicles. For one thing, the liability scares me. What if the person hurts themselves climbing in or out of the truck that I gave them permission to climb on (or wrecking it as a result of starting it, even though they were told not to)? Sadly, that alone is enough to make me prohibit people from touching any of my vehicles (military or not). Personally, I would never start another person's vehicle unless they gave me permission. Nor would I ever sue someone if I injured myself climbing on their truck. But this is America, Land of the Free (to file frivolous and ridiculous lawsuits).
    People learn a lack of respect (or don't actually learn respect) from someone (parents, friends, etc...), who learned it from someone..... They'll pass it on to their kids... It's a vicious cycle. Whether it's leaning on cars ant trucks, smoking in your house, flaming and belittling list members because their opinions differ, etc... I'm sure it won't stop in my lifetime.
    The guy David pulled from his truck did not respect his property or his wishes. The guy smoking in his easy chair didn't respect his wishes, either. If it were my house, he would have been out on the front lawn, and not invited back inside. The audacity of these 2 individuals is actually quite shocking. It reminds me of some of the stories my wife used to tell me about high-school students she taught, before she decided the lack of respect was not worth continuing as an educator. And that was only 2 years ago, so those folks will be disrespecting us in the next few years, if they're not already.....
    David, as for your truck, I would continue to show it. However, I would not allow anyone to get into the cab, unless you plan on standing on the running board to watch them. Even disconnecting the battery does not guarantee they will not accidentally knock the emergency brake off (I've done it myself), causing the truck to roll into a tent full of unsuspecting by-standers. That would be a tragedy. It is a shame, but that is what it takes when you have to watch out for your own stuff because others don't care.