Re: [MV] List etiquette (Vandalism to Military Vehicle)

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 08:52:07 PDT

>The problem, as I see it, is that a mailing list becomes a big group of
>"friends", and friends don't usually decide to talk about subject X and
>nothing else. Therefore, it requires a good amount of discipline to
>prevent posting off-topic stuff.

Exactly. And as a quick follow up to my previous post...

There were 5 of us spending HOURS each day moderating the HELL out of our
forum prior to having a General area. All throughout the day one of us
was there stomping down on off topic posts. Even with this huge amount
of energy expended, and the power to stop individual posters cold for
breaking the rules (i.e. banning them), it was a lost cause. Why do you
think Arthur gave up moderating this list? Could be many reasons, though
I suspect it was to preserve his sanity :-)

> But, a little discipline goes a long way....

I think this list is generally on topic. More so than others I've seen
at least. Truth is that complaining about the times it deviates won't
stop it from happening, though it can lessen it. Unsubscribing will stop
it for those persons who choose this path, but since they aren't likely
to find what they are looking for elsewhere it really isn't a solution either.

Steve