Re: [MV] Tea under armour - heating the M&V

From: Robert Soar (billy_ruffian@fireflyuk.net)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 08:45:56 PDT

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:15:56 +0200, Nigel Hay -MILWEB <Nigel@milweb.net>
wrote:

> A popular slogan and field painted sign was "When in doubt - Brew up!" I
> cant find it but there is a famous pic of Tommies with a Dingo brewing up
> with one of these signs.

To go off a slight tangent but, hopefully, remain on an MV topic, there
are various stories (probably apochryphal) about the squaddies feeding
habits.

I was showing my Ferret last Boxing Day and was talking to one of the
crowd gathered in the village square and apologised for the ammo boxes
strapped to the Ferret not being .30cal. "Not a problem,when we were using
these we'd nick any box we could and do you know what we normally put in
them? Scran.(Food) All these warlike looking vehicles with ammo boxes
draped everywhere was just down to squaddies looking after number one and
making sure they had enough food to last out the exercise."

He then introduced me to the joys of cooking food by hanging it in the
engine compartment, conveniently near the exhaust manifold so I felt
obliged to counter with the story told me by an FV432 driver. (FV432 is a
British tracked APC similar to an M113) You take a tin of M&V or similar
and drop it down the exhaust pipe where it lodges aft of the first bend
and leave the engine idling. When it's hot and ready to east stamp onthe
throttle pedal and the tin will shoot out of the pipe and up into the air

Regards, Rob