Re: [MV] Fwd: Re: [MV] Was Tea under armour - now exposing a thief

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 12:33:30 PDT

Without commenting on this case in particular, I think this is a good
time to remind people about what copyright laws are regarding the use of
Internet materials without permission (a VERY touchy subject in my line
of work). Quite simply...

Many websites also go through the trouble of having "terms of use" or
copyright notifications, generally at the bottom of the page. But the
LACK of this does not mean these rights don't exist. In short, if it is
online, and it is not explicitly stated as public domain, it is not.
That is the default rule of law.

Now, things get a bit more complicated when we are talking about
reproductions of public domain materials. Best way to illustrate this is
with something we are all familiar with...

If I purchase a genuine, US Army TM it is mine to do as I please with. I
can make copies and even SELL copies if I should so choose, provided that
all materials originated directly from that original TM.

If I purchase a reproduction of a US Army TM, I am not allowed to
reproduce, redistribute, or resell any part of it for any reason without
securing the permission of whomever reproduced it. For example, I can
not purchase a TM from Portrayal Press and either make a PDF of it for
free or reproduce it for sale. The reason is because the Portrayal Press
copy is COPYRIGHTED and NOT public domain.

If I download a PDF of a US Army TM from someone else's website, I am
bound to use it as per that website's instructions. The default use is
personal use only. Anything beyond that has to be granted permission by
the owner of the website downloaded from.

If I download an image from someone else's website, same applies. Text
copied... same applies. eBay pictures... I believe these are considered
property of eBay, but if not then they are the property of the seller and
can not be reused without permission just like everything else.

Thems the rules as I knows 'em!

Steve