Re: [MV] War Memorials

From: Robert Buettner (ww2reenactor@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 17 2004 - 17:02:22 PDT

Rick and List-

I have tried to find a mailing address and or phone
number to find out if I can get a list from the CMH
but have not had much luck. Last time I was on their
web site the info was not posted.

Joe DeMarco reported that there was a Sherman
"M4A3(75)VVSS Green Bay north of/off Highway 41to
Marinette" This could quite possibly be the one that
William Cox spoke of. Now that I have a more definite
location I will have to take the 1.75 hour trip up
there.

There are a few sites already that are trying to list
all memorials in all states. Here are a few links:

http://web.infoave.net/~donbarb54/#PVT%20Donald%20B.%20Conrad's%20Guide%20to%20America's%20Military%20Memorials

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/index.htm

http://www.geocities.com/~jmgould/neart.html

There are only two "problems" with the Geocaching
website.
1. You need to have a GPS to post anything there. I
am fortunate enough to have one and they are a great
tool. Without the coordinates you are Sure Outta Luck
trying to post it on the Geocaching site.
2. There is no War Memorial Cache set up. There is a
tank cache (but you find all manner of
armoured/tracked vehicles on it), an old retired
warship cache, a torpedo cache, a warbirds cache (that
is supposed to be only for aircraft on display at a
base, but is rarely adhered to),and a Visqueny
doughboy cache that I am aware of, but no general war
memorials cache.
Otherwise, the Geocaching web site is a valuable tool
and I use it to add to my war memorial collection.

As Always,
Robert Buettner
Appleton, WI

--- Rick <lathrrs@snip.net> wrote:
> Why not contact the US Army Center for Military
> History who is responsible
> for maintianing track of these items and ask for a
> copy of thier list?
>
> Rick

=====
Visit http://personalpages.tds.net/~shannaandrobert/
The web site for:
N.E.W. Iron Brigade (MV Club)
3rd Inf. Div., 3rd Recon. Troop Reenactors
Dodge WC-63's