Re: [MV] M880/M887 Questions

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 18:54:56 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "kuhrick" <kuhrick@comcast.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] M880/M887 Questions

> At 02:40 PM 7/20/2004, Recovry4x4@aol.com wrote:
> >Greetings subscribers! I have a couple of questions related to the above
> >trucks. I have the TM 9-2320-266-10 Operators manuals for the M880
series of
> >truck. I also have TM 9-4940-421-14 which is the Operator manual for the
> >Contact
> >Maintenance Body. Oddly the truck itself, M887, is not really addressed
in
> >either manual. Is there another manual for this cab/chassis that has the
> >contact
> >maint body? Also, it appears that the blackout lighting system is an
option.
> >Anybody ever installed one? Looks like it uses the 3 lever light switch
with
> >it. Last question, does the M887 have just the 12 V electrical system or
does
> >it use both?
>
> one on ebay had both
> and the onwer added power steering
> that taked up one of the 24 volt gen balles
> ken m886
> >Thanks Dodge Gurus,

>From the way the blackout lighting was installed in my old M886, it looked
very add-on/modification. In fact, to run the additional wires through the
firewall, whoever did the mod just made a jagged, clumsy hole instead of
drilling something halfway decent and putting in a grommet. My truck had
the standard Dodge i318 running gear, alternator and stuff, but had what
looked like a kit installed providing it also with a 24V alternator (100A
Leece-Neville, I think) and all the associated cabling and crap to run the
radio gear (the Army converted a number of the 886 ambs to Radio/Computer/CP
trucks using a couple of different layouts.)

They did use the 3-lever light switch when they added the blackout lighting
kit, and made a very crude hole in the plastic of the dash facing just below
the 24V voltmeter if memory serves, while the standard civvy lightswitch
still functioned as well. The plastic around mine was really cracked and
messed up because the hole initially wasn't big enough to accomodate the
bulk of the switch, so some mech obviously took the golden rule to heart
("If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks...it needed replacing anyway!")
and made it fit regardless of what gave way in the process (aluminum vs.
plastic - two out of three falls...)

Been awhile since I retired my own truck, but I think the blackout lights
themselves were the same type installed on the CUCV, and all the wiring run
from them and to the 3-lever switch was the mil-std black rubber variety.

(I had the 1976 Amb-CP conversion without the diesel tank for the genny, or
the genny box installed on the pass. side. It sucked gas like it had shares
in OPEC, and had the wind coefficient of a Backhoe with that CP
headache-rack installed above the cab. You know you're in trouble when
Hondas suck in behind to catch a ride in your slipstream!)