Re: [MV] M880/M887 Questions

From: John Doherty (mofta@hiwaay.net)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 19:21:11 PDT

My 1977 M886 was from a NG unit. It was missing the 3 lever light switch,
and my dash insert was also broken.

As far as the military wiring harness goes though, it was very
professionally done. It was a well designed add-on, that simply plugged in
between the factory connections and the military added devices. It was
quite simple to remove and double check the factory connections with a
wiring diagram from a Haynes Dodge pickup service manual.

When I originally purchased my M886, I was needing a service truck, and the
gutted out ambulance body worked great. It took one saturday to correct the
wiring back to stock condition for less headaches.

BTW, the Dodges are notorious for the ammeter gauge going bad and killing
ALL the power at any given moment. That was the reason the former owner got
frustrated with this unit and I got it. I simply bypassed the gauge to
eliminate the problem alltogether.

I don't believe my unit was ever set up for 24V of any type though. It only
had the one alternator and just one battery tray, and no plugs for a radio
setup.

John