Re: [MV] LDT-465-1D

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 02:09:38 PDT

Good Morning Boys ,
                                    This task , setting the tappets , is a
job you give to the apprentice to keep him quiet for the day , done
carefully it turns a rattely old lump into a purring power house . On old
engines it is best done with a dial test indicator as it is very difficult
to allow for wear in the valve train . Wear will take place on the pads at
each end of the rockers , on the push rods , rocker bushes , rocker shaft,
cam and followers . THERE MUST be clearance and only a well experienced man
should deviate from the makers setting, as valve failure will be the outcome
if insufficient clearance is given as well an effect on the timing .
ONLY as a guide 10 thou on inlets , 12 thou on exhausts . Each pair of
tappets should be set with THAT cylinder on compression .Knowing the firing
order and observing the valve movement , the compression stroke can be
identified and making 3 equispaced marks on the crank pulley for a six pot
engine saves a lot of work winding it round .
  IF you need more detailed info on this job get back to me and I`ll do my
best .
                                  Hope this is helpful Noel
PS
     Just seen Toms post , 15thou in , 25 out , its bound to rattle .