A/C in Humvees

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 07:37:55 PDT

      I have an M-1045 Humvee TOW Missile Carrier that I want to A/C. I
found a take off pulley kit from an ambulance which uses the "pancake"
compressor. There is an outfit called Vintage Air in Texas that has some
useful A/C units that caters to the street rod folks. Mounting the
compressor is the hard part. My kit uses the serpentine belt which is what
you want. What I really wanted was an evaporator core unit with the blower
that is small and flat enough to mount on the bottom of the top radio tray.
They do exist but cannot find the supplier. Vintage Air has kits with the
heater core AND the evaporator core in a package for street rods. While
waking up in the middle of a sleepless night it just dawned on me that the
heater system is poor to begin with in a Humvee so why not remove the heater
core box and install one of those package systems from vintage Air there
where there is plenty of room? I haven't made any measurements yet but one
should mount there just fine and solve twofold problems!!

   Next problem: While in Mobile AL at the show, a clever older gentleman
had installed A/C in his M-998. While I didn't care for the way he
installed the evaporator core hanging from the ceiling of the hardtop, he
did point out about the older three belt system is flawed here. A regular
"V" belt system cannot have a 22" span or longer without the aid of an idler
pulley because the belts will "dance" and do damage to surrounding items
they slap such as a radiator hose. (4" or more dance here) The belts dance
bad enough in a stock unit no matter how much you tighten them!! He
installed an extra idler pulley on the top of his belt system and kept the
dancing down to a tolerable minimum. If you can, change unit to a
serpentine belt. I got all of the pulleys but now have to figure out if it
will turn my water pump in the fight direction or will have to change water
pumps such as the 6.5 one that uses such belt. Any feedback here? Do both
6.2 and 6.5 water pump turn in the same direction??

Humvee nut Julian Burke

PS, I have "as-is" complete Humvees for sale at $12,500!!!