Re: [MV] M880/M887 Questions

From: mark baxter (alleywayguns@bacavalley.com)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 08:53:00 PDT

Folks
 I have been working on a M-886 ambulance now for close to 5 years. When I
got this beast it was missing all of its wiring from the Ambulance body
forward, (and thoughtfully cut with cutters about where the drivers seat is
by the Forest service, BUT fortunantly I found the fuse panel and the cut
wires that went to the rear compartment laying in the back of the ambulance)
I replaced the entire wiring harness from the Dash forward with one out of a
civiy truck, fit perfectly.
 I the decided to reinstall the balck out light system. not too hard of a
job. Had to drill 2 holes in radiator mount, remove the wire cups from the
Blackout markers and screw the Markers on to the front of the grill,(had
been already drilled for the marker Lights) The main BO wiring harness was
relitivly simple. I just followed the old wires to the back,removing to old
wiring as I went, and installed the new marker lights in the rear of the
vehicle.
 I then was able to plug the BO Harness into the junction box on the cab
that holds the Factory wiring harness.
 As I had to find and replace all of the Dash instrament panel and
instraments, while I had the instrament plate, I cut the two side wings of
the face plate off so they could be removed sepreatly, INSTALLED a new
Stewart Warner amp meter on the left side wing of instrament plate. Then
with the right side wing of the instrament plate off I was able to scribe an
outline of the light switch onto it, using the template from the kit, and
cut it out with a hole saw and files.
 The nice thing about seperating the side wings from the main part of the
instrament plate is ease of getting to what you need to work on without
removing the whole instrament plate off to get to your Light switch or the
new amp guage that I would replace on all M-880 series of vehicles(civiy
ones too).
 Finally, Keep the Batery termanils clean, my truck is not used much, and
even with a new battery, my terminals will corroded and I will always have
to jump start the truck.
Mark M-886