Re: [MV] M35 leaking head gasket/ more info?

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 05:03:54 PDT

Hi Folks ,
                With reference to replacement of head bolts / studs . On
modern engines built for lightness ,often of aluminium , the weight of
generously sized bolts Etc adds up . The bolts used are only JUST big enough
size and on being torqued up approach the elastic limit to the extent that
they are only safe to use once due the fact that they would stretch in
service and not return to their original length.
On older engines where weight was not a consideration the bolts were of
greater size and on tightening came nowhere near the elastic limit and on
loosening did not suffer from stretch to an extent worthy of note .
I have repaired many engines , both ex military and civilian and very rarely
was it recommended or found necessary to replace bolts , nor did I suffer
from subsequent failure due to bolts stretching .

    The opinion of a member of the old school ! Noel