Re: [MV] ** Witold Grzymala-Busse ** RE: [MV] A train load of M1's spotted in KC KS

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 15:02:03 PDT

At 10:12 AM -0400 8/2/04, Pasquale Lombardi wrote:
>Any other info you want to give out?

This is hardly close to intel type data for any Al Queda types in CONUS.
1. They're painted in desert camo...ooh! Look Abdul, the Americans
paint their tanks like we do!

2. Tanks were damaged in Iraq...not even close to news, seen it on
CNN, Fox, BBC, AlJazeera, Reuters, AP, Times, etc

3. Tanks back from theatre have crappy paint? Probaly more interest
for those MVPA members that paint vehicles in Motor Pool Class.

4. Not a good tank? Does 0% under armor Red on Blue casualties say
anything? Both in Hot combat and Counter Insurgency. Its a damn fine
tank and even when you get under it's skin it does it's job. Protect
the systems, protect the crew, don't brew up like a Russian T72 does.
The only other tanks that have a similar record are their British
Cousins also equipped with Chobham and Israeli Merkavas. Nothing else
has had the same battle testing and proof of combat results and
survivability. (crew outside have survived the ammo bay covers going
up!)

If the insurgents want to keep popping rounds at M1's let'em go
ahead. Its the best thing they can do from our perspective. Standing
in the middle of the street trying to pop an RPG at an Abrams is
exactly what our guys want. They're so much M249 fodder as that one
rather graphic video shows.

If someone is worried about some kind of OPSEC here it's beyond
pointless. As a friend of mine that was about to deploy with the 4th
ID said on a query of "OPSEC?" on another list:

"It's open source, man. Big front page article in the
Corpus Christi newspaper, DoD press release about Task
Force Ironhorse, everything.

OPSEC is all well and good, but enough stuff is open
source documentation that some of the worries are a
little silly.

For instance: We got told not to mention our
commander's name to the press, as this was OPSEC
violation. My question as to when they are taking
down the batallion website
http://www.hood.army.mil/4id_1stbde/ENG299FRAME.HTM
which contains our BN CDR and CSM biographies was
considered to be "smartass"."

Anyone want to comment on a proper Motor Pool Class weathering scheme?

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill           www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com               ||