Re: [MV] ** Witold Grzymala-Busse ** RE: [MV] A train load of M1's spotted in KC KS

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 17:02:18 PDT

Hi Ryan,m

>The thing is, a well designed electronic system
>isn't secure through obscure details, rather it
>is secure through good design. Further, what
>makes the stryker's systems useful is that they
>allow a force commander to know where his assets
>are and are not in the real time. This allows a
>faster response and regardless of the enemy's
>knowledge of the his capabilities, his ability to
>react and understand the big picture will still
>give him the force multiplier that he's looking
>for.

All true. But if I am the enemy and I know what the SOPs are for a given
situation, I can devise a way to exploit their weaknesses. And if I know
exactly what the TO&E is of a particular unit I can know what to expect
if I attack it or am attacked by it. More sophisticated enemies can also
identify what communications systems are in place, then figure out how to
get a working example (or at least data on it) so they can devise a
method of disruption. Then they can be sure if they run into x unit that
it uses y system which can be jammed using z disruption method. I have
all the FMs on STRYKER Brigades, down to the platoon level, so I also
assume the enemy does as well. At least one that is sophisticated enough
to care about it in the first place (and Ahab the Mad Bomber isn't likely to).

My point is the same as yours... highly detailed information that is, in
theory, useful to our enemies is out there in abundance. Direct from the
US government in some cases. For example, if someone wants to find out
the weaknesses of the Abrams, all they have to do is look on US
government websites for detailed AARs from the initial assault on
Baghdad. Some of the info is still classified, but the practical
elements (i.e. what to use and where to aim) is available in PDF format
complete with detailed pictures. I've got copies of it myself, so I
assume the enemy does as well. Someone saying "gee... I spotted some
tanks and they looked beat up" on an obscure email list has no practical
intel value even if by some odd chance the enemy is spying here.

Steve