Re: Loose Lips, Sunk Ships and EUCs

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 00:11:13 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "kuhrick" <kuhrick@comcast.net>
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 11:08 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] ** Witold Grzymala-Busse ** RE: [MV] A train load of M1's
spotted in KC KS

At 07:52 PM 8/2/2004, Ryan Gill wrote:
>At 7:32 PM -0500 8/2/04, kuhrick wrote:
>>i readed the frist message and i was hoping there no one reading
>>that this should not learn this
>> LOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS
>> as much today as 65 years ago in W.W I I the big war
>
>So you belive then that the EUCs for cargo trucks make a lot of sense? ;-)

[kuhrick] no make as much sense as the $120k toilet seats

Speaking of EUCs, it seems someone decided that everything electronic on one
base sold through GL was automatically EUC because it was electronics once
utilized by the Defense Department. Maybe "someones" instead of "someone",
actually, with my money riding on The Three Stooges. So, in terms of
nuts'n'bolts, this meant that wireless Shure microphones (think Cher singing
on stage) needed an EUC and wouldn't be sold to any foreign national (that's
okay - Radio Shack is just down the street), and 25 year old commercial
video equipment wasn't allowed to leave the country without a nod from the
State Department.

I like a good MCF as much as the next GL bidder, but unfortunately for the
world at large, this sort of stupidity is now spreading to many Ebay
resellers who are now thoroughly convinced that anything made by Sony over
the last 40 years and sold through GL cannot be exported under penalty of a
trip in chromium jewellry to the sunny shores of Guantanamo. I understand
the need for national security and I understand the need for tight control
of military technology but I think most would agree that someone needs to
get their head out of their ass when it comes to grading all this commercial
stuff coming through GL. Some is being EUC'd simply due to laziness ("we're
not sure if that's on the SME list or not so, aw hell, EUC everything that
plugs in!") - but some is probably getting flagged because someone somewhere
in a lofty position truly doesn't know any better despite a job description
to the contrary. I know some will say "give 'em a break...new policies
needing the bugs worked out...mistakes happen...<fill in the blanks>...",
but even the most dyed-in-the-wool-only-two-years-more-til-my-pension DRMO
type must surely have at least the standard helping of common sense even
despite years of institutional atrophy. One can hope.

("But they only follow what's in the policy manual - they have to follow
orders!" Bullshit. There's nothing like uniformity from base-to-base
regarding the exact-same goods every, single, solitary sale, so that old
dodge doesn't wash.)