Re: [MV] camo netting

From: International Movie Services (ims@telus.net)
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 09:09:44 PDT

When 9th Infantry Division at Fort Lewis, Washington was transferred to the
"Supplementary Order of Battle", (read disbanded) a few years ago a vast
amount of material was released through DRMO. This included a Division's
worth of cam nets which were stacked at DRMO in a pile 50'wide, 10' high and
100' +long. If you do the math that's one hell of a lot of netting, and it
was all sold as one lot!! More recently the moratorium on disposal of
textiles was lifted so there have been truckloads of TA50, uniforms and
tentage released from storage. Almost right away the Marines Marpat BDU sets
were placed back on the "hold" list, as were the new USAF digital uniforms
and the Stryker Battalion US army computer generated field uniforms. It
wasn't that long ago that during the "troubles" in the UK that DPM uniforms
were tightly controlled in the interest of security, now the surplus
wholesalers are grateful to get $1.00 an item!
I've been told that the nets must be cut into pieces to prevent reuse due to
their radar scattering/ infrared reflective properties, but I've never seen
a written directive. In the same vein I've been told that Humvee parts and
residue are being sent to, I think, Arizona for shredding? Absolutely
nothing in the way of chassis, suspension or bodywork pieces have been
released through GL here in the Northwest.
Ubique!
Ian