Re: [MV] A different M35A2 brake problem

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 04:30:39 PDT

Hi Joe ,& list ,
                        Had one like this , It was down to dampness and
brake shoe temp . First application in the morn brakes snatched to one side
then fine all day . At test, all one side overhauled , bad imbalance ,
stripped checked , all OK retest still bad . Tester noticed that after 15
mins of trying on the rollers {and trusting my word } the imbalance was
dropping and as all warmed up balance restored . On the road stopping 4 tons
or more heated the shoes instantly , the rollers took longer !
Try swapping / mixing/changing brake shoes . Won`t improve the braking ,
but might restore the balance .
Whilst at it check that the new cylinder BORES are EXactly the same as the
old ones /same as the other side .
A small diameter change has a dramatic effect on piston area , and thats
what counts .
IF you suspect pressure differences , for what ever reason , use a flexible
brake hose , 0-2000 psi gauge and suitable threaded adaptor screwed into the
bleed hole to test .
DON`T forget to make up any fluid loss , in this test !

You may not be able to teach an old dog new tricks ,
                     BUT I can share the ones I do know ! Noel .