Re: [MV] A different M35A2 brake problem

From: grntrks@juno.com
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 20:19:06 PDT

Joe,
Here's a shot in the dark. I think I'd pull both front drums and make
certain both wheel cylinders are the same, i.e., bore, stroke,
part/casting number, shape, etc.
Here's my logic. If 2 hydraulic cylinders are receiving the same
pressure but are physically different ( bore for instance ) one of them
will produce more actual force ( I would think the larger bore ) than the
other.

Are the brake shoes the same width and length left wheel versus right
wheel? A difference here would for sure cause an apparant "imbalance" in
braking characteristics. Do the right brake shoes move as freely as the
old left shoes?

If my understanding is accurate, the M35A2 using a single chamber master
cylinder, does not use a proportioning valve, therefore all wheel
cylinders receive the same pressure in the system. There must be a
physical difference somewhere between the left and right.

How about the hoses? Is the right one getting weak and swelling under
pressure, causing lower applied pressure to that cylinder?

Please let the list know how this turns out. It is an enteresting
problem and the cure would be fascinating, I should think.

Regards,

Frank Cox. 'Nam 1966
MVPA 14530
'45 GMC DUKW