Re: [MV] Green color for USMC vehicles

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 09:06:46 PDT

Colin wrote:

> "....Thank you for the help, but I guess I need a little help here
>understanding. Semi-Gloss, Full-Gloss, or Lusterless Forest Green and
>Lusterless Olive Drab, are those a particular color that any paint
>manufacturer will know, or is there a code that I need to identify those?...."

  This is a bit too large a subject to go into here but.........

The USMC used a color in WW II that was called Lusterless Forest Green. This was a dead flat (no shine) paint. This color is not currently made at this time nor has anyone ever come up with the hard data on the original mixing formula. This color is a cause of great discussion amongst WW II USMC vehicle owners.

  After WW II the USMC used a semi-gloss version of this color. Mighty Mites, M-38's, M-38-A1's and M-151 series vehicles were delivered (USMC) in this paint. WW II vehicles were also repainted after the war in this paint.
   Rapco's USMC semi-gloss paint is as close as you can get to this color as of now.

   Non tactical vehicles such as staff cars and such were and are still painted in a full gloss.

  It should be noted that most Navy WW II jeeps were painted in Lusterless Forest Green and not gray. Gray painted vehicles were, for the most part, used in non-combat areas.

No Navy Willys MB's or Ford GPW's were ever delivered from the factory in Gray.

  Only Willys MB's were ever delivered in Lusterless Forest Green (USMC) and all Ford GPW's were delivered in Lusterless Olive Drab no matter which branch of the Govt received them.

Lusterless Olive Drab was the color that the US Army used throughout WW II on military vehicles.

   No one at this time makes a correct color match paint for this color.

  Rather than try to have a color mixed locally (which will cost about $100.00 a gallon) look in the MVPA Supply Line or Military Vehicles Magazine for retailers of paint for the MV hobby.

> "........ Also, having not been anything more than a midshipman, I am not
>familiar with a lot of the military acronyms, especially if they had to
>do with the Army or Marine Corp. What do 'QMC' and 'ORD' mean?......"

  As others have posted......

QMC = Quartermaster Corps
ORD = Ordinance Corps

Jim Gilmore