Ch 1, New M35 owner saga...

From: Alex (alex@glx.net)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 19:17:05 PDT

Well, the non running truck arrived close to my house on a flatbed and
sat at the local VFD for a few days. A neighbor with a large wheeled
loader pulled it up my road and nudged it into place. I set up wheeled
scaffold around it so I could work on it. The known non working items,
when I bought the truck were: 1) No brake pedal, 2) Alternator taken and
replaced with a non working one (on floor in cab), 3) Missing oil supply
line between turbo and block, 4) Missing turn signal flasher, 5)
oil/grease on two rear tires. I ordered the oil line, flasher, one
gallon of DOT 5 from various vendors mentioned on the list. In doing so
I spoke with some very patient folks at Antelope Valley, Memphis, Fort
Dodge, and Boyce. thank you all.

I had almost two months to wait before my EUC was approved, so during
that time I visited the truck on base and tried to learn as much as
possible about M35's, downloaded the TM's, and asked a lot of what I'm
sure seemed naive questions of the list members. All questions were
courteously answered. so thank you all.

After the truck arrived it was time to get my hands dirty. I'm not a
mechanic (double E by profession) but did work on my own cars while
growing up and have a garage full of power and hand tools. The first
thing I noticed is that everything is really big and heavy. I'm an old
50 something year old and need a breaker bar when working on some of
these parts. The first thing I attacked were the brakes. The master
cylinder was full. I got in the cab and pumped the pedal a few more
times. The pedal came up! The pedal stayed up! Two hours later it was
still up! Hmmm. I can't exactly explain this. unless when the truck sat
for a long time the cups/seals stiffened up and bypassed fluid for the
first few pumps until they limbered up. It's been a week now. every day
I check the brakes and they are still good.

Next was the fuel system. The front loader guy is quite experienced with
diesels and I never owned one. so I know nothing. He had me drain about
a gallon from the fuel tank (that was fun.. I felt like the little Dutch
Boy at the dyke) into a clean white 5 gallon container. Also had me
drain down the 3 fuel filters into a glass. The fuel in the filters was
clean. The fuel in the tank had a very few little blackish globs of
water and a little dirt. I drained another gallon and he said it was
good. He commented on the color of the fuel (yellow pee like) and said
it looked like fuel he used to use but what he now uses is dyed. He
thought it was "military diesel" but wasn't sure. Then he had me turn on
the electric pump and bleed the system at the top mounted bleeder.

I Installed the turbo oil supply line, checked the oil, moved the
alternator belts out of the way, and had my wife stand by with a board
to choke off the intake (another suggestion from the list). It took
about 5 or 6 7 second starter tries until it came to life. It idled
around 8-900 rpm and the oil pressure came up. Since no alternator was
on, and the water pump wasn't turning, I only let it run for about a
minute. I went to bed happy to know that it was at least going to run.

Yesterday, I put on the alternator (that wasn't easy, given where the
bolts are) and started it up and let it run for about 10 minutes.
Everything came up, the buzzer eventually stopped and all seemed good. I
moved the truck around the driveway testing the brakes and turned it
around in the front yard. this went over poorly with the wife. I
tenuously headed down our switchback laden hill with one hand on the
emergency brake. just in case the self healed brakes got sick again. I
did notice the Air-O-Matic power steering wasn't all that helpful. Since
I've never driven one of these things, I didn't know what to expect. The
10 minute drive around the neighborhood was uneventful, but I did notice
a few things. 1) The steering wheel rubs on my stomach. probably a
combination of my girth and the fact I couldn't find the tilt wheel
control :) 2) The power steering was worthless. 3) The turning radius
should be measured in furlongs, not feet. 4) It's noisy as hell. the
sign on the dash says I should wear ear protection. they're right.

Two mile test drive. all is fine. Brakes are real good. I get back to my
house and turn it off. When I get out of the cab I hear a hissing air
leak. It's coming from a pipe attached to the air assist unit. I call up
to my son for a wrench, tighten the connection and it now holds air. I
trace the power steering air line looking for a crimp that might affect
the power steering. The line goes up to the firewall into some sort of
device with a valve on it. I open the valve, start the truck, and now
have power assist for the steering. It lets out little gasps of air when
I change direction, but once underway you can't hear anything over the
engine din. I go for another 3 mile test ride. all is well. I'm not sure
the power steering is a great investment. once moving there is little if
any difference in effort. Oh well, it came with the truck.

After an oil and filter change, next on the list to fix is the horn,
turn signals, and brake lights. a job for next weekend. Also the oil
pressure indicator seems all over the place... 10-20 at idle and 40-60
driving, but the needle really bounces all around like there is a bad
connection. Anything to worry about?
Cheers,
Alex