Re: [MV] Ch 1, New M35 owner saga...

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 21:23:53 PDT

Alex, congratulations on the acquisition of your M35.

I may be able to shed some light on the operation of the worthless
Air-O-Matic steering unit. As you surmised, the unit makes the hissing sound
as a normal effect of the air usage, when returning the steering wheel to
the center position. The air is being exhausted into the atmosphere. The
reason you feel no difference with or without the air assistance when
driving on the highway is because the system is designed specifically NOT to
assist when moving straight ahead, only when it is needed during turns. That
is one of its many benefits: the feel of the road when travelling at speed.

You were, of course, initially operating with the air supply turned off. As
an engineer, I'm sure that you share our opinion that it would not be a
proper venue for evaluating a system that relies upon air for its operation.
The "sort of valve device" is the petcock which is turned off for
maintenance purposes. It is left turned on for normal operation. A truck
equipped with our assist kit, and WITH ITS STEERING COMPONENTS ADJUSTED AND
LUBRICATED PROPERLY AND ITS TIRES INFLATED TO SPECS will require less than
half of the steering force normally required on a manually-steered truck.
You should be able to turn the steering wheel with two fingers, with the
truck at rest, on dry pavement.

Another important component with which you should become familiar is the air
safety valve. It admits air to the steering system, when the truck's air
supply reaches 90 psi (several seconds after the low-air buzzer is retired)
and closes when the system falls below 60 psi. This ensures an adequate
supply of air for the braking system, in the unlikely event that air is lost
via the steering system.

If you hear air escaping from the draglink/torque valve assembly while the
truck is at rest, chances are that the O-rings within the power cylinder
have dried out due to dis-use. (If this is the case, it would explain why
the previous owner had turned off the petcock) There is a rebuild kit
available to remedy this condition. If you would like a "loaner" cylinder,
please ask, and we will be happy to furnish one for your further evaluation.

Perhaps you would care to re-evaluate the system, and make a further report,
once you have received our packet of information about setting up your
truck's steering box for proper adjustment. We are always interested to
hear complaints about our system. So far the compliments are running ahead
of the complaints by about 40,000 to two. Not bad for a product that has
been around for 57 years. Please feel welcome to ask me any questions about
the system or any of our other enhancements available to make your M-series
motoring more pleasurable.

Warmest Regards,

Arthur P. Bloom, VP/Military Sales

Inter Agency Motor Pool