Importing U.S. vehicles from Europe

From: Jim Stead (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 17:43:21 PDT

Hi all,

   I was wondering what the government process is to importing U.S.
manufactured Military Vehicles back into the U.S. I'm specifically
interested in non-offensive vehicles like jeeps, half-tracks, personnel
carriers, etc., if that makes a difference. I imagine offensive vehicles
(like tanks) are more complicated to get in, thanks to lack of knowledge in
our officials....
    If I found a jeep in France, Italy, etc., and wanted to bring it home,
what do I need to be concerned with other than the logistics of transport?
What is importable and what isn't? How would I find out if it's 'lend-lease'
or just 'left-behind'? Are there import taxes? What could get my vehicle
seized? Who should I be calling to verify it's okay, or get the 'forms' from
? Is it ATF? Customs? State department? All of them?!
    I'm sure I'm in over my head at this point, but I think I like it.....

Thanks,
Jim