Re: [MV] CUCV receiver hitch mods

From: John Doherty (mofta@hiwaay.net)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 18:39:13 PDT

I agree that the combo pintle/ball hitch is a good arrangement. I use one
mounted on an adjustable receiver carrier on other trucks.

My problem with using it as a direct replacement of the CUCV location is the
heigth is about 10" too high for level towing with one of my dual axle
trailers. With the short coupled spring hanger arrangement, too much weight
is shifted to the rear axle and it binds up. Effectively eliminating the
dual axle floating, and dragging the dovetail.

It's a poor spring arrangement on the trailer, but I really hadn't wanted to
replace it just yet. The trips to the scrap yard haven't totally destroyed
it just yet.

That's why I wanted a lower mounted receiver beneath the bumper. Low
profile trailer still being used, along with M116A2 cargo, and generator,
etc.

I will eventually build a 'militarized' dual axle trailer that uses the
lunette eye, six lugged axles, hydraulic brakes, and has a stance more
aligned to the CUCV ride height. But I'm still gathering the parts.

Thanks for the recommedations,

John