Re: [MV] Hauling IN an M35

From: Jim Stead (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 18:52:25 PDT

I've only hauled a Willy's MB in mine. I'm sure I've gone overkill with this
setup but no matter how I've driven my Deuce, the vehicle in back hasn't
moved anywhere.

Most important part...the rear supports. I figure in a panic stop, slamming
into a Pinto, etc., this is what keeps the jeep from hitting me in the back
of the head. It's not foolproof, but a pair of 20,000Lb transport chains
wrapped around the rear cross-frame of the deuce (where the pintle is
mounted), up over the tailgate, to around each of the rear frame rails of
the jeep seems pretty solid to me.

The front is tied with nylon tow straps from the front axle of the jeep near
the tires, over the front wall of the cargo box, down to each Deuce frame
rail. I use ratchet straps here and pull in all the slack I can at this
point. Once the straps are as tight as I can get them, with the jeep still
in neutral, I go back and pull the chains together behind the tailgate with
3/4" hemp rope. This pulls in ALL the remaining 'slack', both front and
back. It's REALLY tight. Then I put the jeep into gear.

The sides of the jeep frame are then tied with 3/4" hemp rope which runs
over each deuce side, through the tiedown loop on that side, and onto the
tie down pin mounted between the axles on top of the leaf springs. I pull
the ropes as tight as possible by hand, while standing next to the
truck...usually with my feet on the rear tires. This pull is nothing
compared to the front-back pull, but it's enough to keep away any sideways
movement in normal travel.

Finally, I chock the wheels of the transported vehicle. I made "chocks" out
of 2x4's laying flat on thier wide side. The bottom is a 3-piece U-shaped
part which just fits around the tire. The upper part is a somewhat smaller,
tighter U which is tight to the tire at the higher level. Both levels of
2x4's are well nailed together, think of them as 'reverse steps'. On the
inside of the tires I have bungee cords going from a nail on each end of the
U, just to keep them on the tire. This is silly really, those chocks aren't
going anywhere, but just to make sure they don't walk off....
The tires of the transported vehicle cannot move forwards or back, and don't
seem to move sideways either.

To me, tight straps reduce the possibility of inertia generation. In other
words, when you hit something or your movement changes rapidly, the
looseness in the straps, chains, etc allows the generation of stored energy.
By keeping the load physically connected to your transport, you have no new
energies to be concerned with. The bed isn't going to fly off, and neither
is your load.

Your tractor is higher than a jeep, so there's a new consideration....twist.
Center of gravity type stuff. If it were me, I would add 'over-straps'. That
is, something either connected to the top of the tractor (best case
scenario) and tied down tight to the frame of the deuce, or something at
least over the load (hood, ROPS, etc) and pulled as tight as possible back
down to the frame of your deuce.

Well, that's my 'overkill' approach to your question. I bet you could run
off-road with this solution. I haven't tried it, YET. Still, get as close to
this as you can for the road and I bet you'll have no worries......

:-)
Jim

> How does everyone chain things down that they might haul in the back of an
> M35? I have to transport a Farmall H to a tractor show tomorrow, and I am
> wondering what common practice is for chaining things down in the back. I
> know some of you transport your M151's and such in the back of a deuce so
> am looking for experience type suggestions. Yes RAM, I did look in the
TM's