M54A2 5 Ton Generator/alternator

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 20:41:13 PDT

Hi All,
    I am trying to determine if I have a generator or an alternator in
my truck.
The manuals seem to refer to both. The truck is in storage right now so
I can't run out and look at it.

Supposedly it is only a 25 Amp device. Is there any reason why I can't
put in a larger unit,
say 60 Amps?

Does it matter if I put in a generator or an alternator? Obviously I
would have
to put in the apprpopriate regulator for it.

Does anyone know of a suitable field upgrade that was done for these and
possibly a lead
to a part number and description of same? I would like to keep this as
original as possible.

Thanks,
Bruce MVPA 23824