Re: [MV] Renting for a movie ??$

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 05:34:58 PDT

Jay

> Hi. Been enjoying the thread (even though its lacking our usual
> political debates) and was curious to know- IF a person were interested
> in cobbling together something for the movie rental business, such as,
> say, a fake Tiger that would look OK from a distance and run, but be the
> sort of thing that not being "real", wouldn't be such a risk to use on a
> movie- i.e., when Mikey the new PA is pulling cables and accidently
> yanks a great big spot light over and dents the fake muffler covers,
> they aren't made of genuine unobtainium and don't mean a 6 month
> expedition to shift through the desert sands or wading through the
> Ukraine swamps trying to find the remains of an original replacement-
> would something like that stand to generate enough income over time to
> pay for itself, or maybe even make a profit? Just curious to get the
> view from someone who has been there.

It has been done multiple times. "Kelly's Heroes", "Saving Ryan's
Privates (sic)" using Russian built AFVs etc.

In at least one of those movies if not both, one of the vehicles
sustained major damage due to fire. The special effects guys got
over enthused. Thus, when I saw the vehicle it was one very sad
and burnt T-34 sitting in England that nobody wanted - I have walked
over it and did it stink! There was no way I was climbing inside
as everything was covered with black residue.

Likewise one of the Centurions that was made up to
look like an Abrams in "Friendly Fire" got burnt, I don't know
how bad.

Never underestimate "Mikey"!!!!

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@iinet.net.au