Re: [MV] Importing U.S. vehicles from Europe

From: International Movie Services (ims@telus.net)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 08:11:28 PDT

This is a "gray" area. Technically if a vehicle was supplied by the USA as a
"lend-lease" item (or any of the infinite variations of foreign aid) it can
be imported with the permission of the State Department which can be a
lengthy process.
This applies primarily to vehicles that you purchase directly from a foreign
government through an equivalent disposal agency such as DRMS or GL. If in
legal-speak a vehicle has "entered the commerce" of said foreign country, in
the case of a WW2 vehicle passed through many private owners since disposal
in the 1950's, it usually can be imported without drama.
An expensive but viable option is to purchase the complete US Customs tariff
regulation manuals, about $200 from the US Government, plus the official
Demil Regulation manual. Read and understand the appropriate sections;
highlight them with "post-it" notes and have the set with you when you clear
the vehicle at the point of entry. On the few occasions I have been
challenged these have proven their value as "in knowledge there is
strength". You may be doing everything legally and correctly but you must be
prepared to defend yourself. If you know and understand the regulations you
have nothing to fear. Always employ the services of a Customs Broker if you
are not confidant that you can deal with the bureacracy, you'll find it
money well spent!!
Hope this helps!-Been there, done that!!
Ubique,
Ian