Re: [MV] M-416 trailers and CUCVs

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@arrl.net)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 13:16:30 PDT

Hi Jim,

         I would go to a local transmission, 4x4 off road shop you trust
and purchase the largest capacity BTU heat exchanger (trans cooler) they
can get in front of your radiator. If you plan on towing anything add an
electric fan in front of the trans cooler especially if you plan on towing
off road. The stock heat exchanger built into the radiator has one major
flaw...that's right I said FLAW. It tries to dump excess heat from the
trans to hot coolant from the engine. My suggestion is bypass the built in
heat exchanger in the radiator to the largest one you can find and install
it in front of the radiator, now it is transferring heat to AIR. Sure the
heat is going into the radiator but it will handle it without a problem. By
removing the heat exchanger from the radiator to a larger trans cooler you
aren't sending trans fluid back into the trans hotter than when it came
out. The electrical fan mounted in front of the trans cooler can be run for
KISS 's sake to ( to guarantee air flow through the cooler) a manual
switch as in your in stop and go traffic whether your towing or not the
trans will get hot under that type of load. Don't belive me? Drive into any
trans shop and talk to the mechanics and toss them the idea and I doubt you
find many dissenter's. Remember that the idea is to keep the heat away as
it kills more auto trans than anything else. I'd rather spend a $150.00 now
and prevent a major failure later usually when your enjoying yourself and
don't need the hassle. If you have to rebuild the 400 transmission in your
CUCV my suggestion is use all GM heavy duty parts and make sure your cooler
is installed and clear both of air flow and fluid flow. And yes a
temperature gauge installed for the transmission will let you know when
it's time to let her idle and cool down and prevent expensive repairs.

         The viscous drive is best left in place if working properly. Even
if the drive for the fan died I would replace it with a rebuilt or new one
in addition to the electric fan in front of the transmission cooler.

Jim