Re: [MV] M-416 trailers and CUCVs

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 16:07:43 PDT

In a message dated 8/13/2004 7:35:09 AM Central Daylight Time, spike@defuniak.com writes:

I don't know what "the best thing" means but I can't see a thing in the world wrong with towing a trailer with one of those vehicles. I've seen it being done for years.

Sonny

Pardon me if this has been covered before...I took a few days off...

It is not clear from your post above if you are referring only to a PARTIALLY loaded M416 trailer. If not, you saw someone who thought they had a better way to do things but it just dosen't work in the long run. Millions and millions of dollars was spent and many many years of trial and error to weed out that type of hooligan mismanagement.

Its a thousand wonders a lot of people didn't get court martialed over that kind of business.

No Field Grade Officer would have ever went along with it if he/she had known anything at all about it.

The people involved are not reading their PS magazine, which says:

"M1009 CUCVs are replacing both the M151-Series 1/4-ton trucks and the M416-Series 1/4-ton trailers in some TOEs. If you're left with 1/4-ton trailers, they can be towed by the M1009. Maximum trailer payload is 500 lbs for both cross-country and highway travel. The 750 lbs for highway in the 1/4-ton trailer TMs is a no-go. If you have no 1/4-ton trailers, remove and store the M1009  tow pintle to
prevent towing any other trailers."

or are the following the TACOM Safety Message which was also sent out addressing this issue. Most collectors on this list who may or may not know, should welcome the opportunity to learn how things are to be managed, operated and maintained according to the book as opposed to implanting in our brain how some Johnny Come Lately crowd came along and did things the way they wanted and violated all set rules....Like by towing trailers other than a partially loaded M416 with a M1009.

Regards,
David Doyle