Re: [MV] FLAT TOWING

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 16:14:26 PDT

Don't to this in FL or OH, its against the law. As far as correcting the
problem, look towards more positive caster. You are especially susceptible by
caster adjustment with a tube frame buggy such as you have. If it has the VW style
beam axle you will need to add shim stock behind the lower beam to help the
situation. Many vehicles with manual steering have less positive caster to
reduce steering effort but the tradeoff is wandering steering that won't self
correct. I had the same issue with a Jeep that had extended shackles on the front
with took away positive caster. Once the shackes were replaced with proper
length ones, the thing towed like a dream. For more on steering geometry and a
good general explanation of most things automotive, I suggest TM9-8000.
Principles of Automotive Vehicles. A good general reference to auto tech.