M35... Electrical system leakage...

From: Alex (alex@glx.net)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 19:47:43 PDT

So like a good boy, I keep taking the ground terminal off the battery
set when I'm not around and/or not going to be working on the truck.
When I go to put it on, I see a small spark. I remember reading on the
list a while back about someone doing the same and thinking it was due
to a discharged capacitor somewhere (?). and it was only the charging
that was taking place. Being somewhat anal about drain on some very
expensive batteries, I put a digital VOM on and found a constant drain
of about 80ma. I haven't had a chance to disconnect the Prestolite
alternator yet. You guys think that's it? Diode leakage? Is it too much
drain? Any suggestions? Also where is a good out sight place to mount
one of those marine battery disconnect switches?
Thanks,
Alex

PS an epilogue to chapter 1 and a new chapter 2 are coming soon.