Re: [MV] Virus attack

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 15:36:52 PDT

At 6:01 PM -0400 8/16/04, J. Forster wrote:
>For the last two weeks my computer has been repeatedly attacked from a source
>that SpamCop traces back to Paramount Pictures. The attacks have
>been by a wide
>variety of different viruses/worms as far as I can tell. Paramount has been
>totally unresponsive and has stated 'We're not going to do that' in
>response to
>the suggestion that they take the afflicted machine off line or install a
>firewall to ensure virus free outgoing email.

They're probably insecure systems that have been compromised by
Malware or viruses. I don't know if paramount is lacking in a proper
internet security model (probably not, they're too busy suing people
for copying DVDs). Often the only thing to do is blacklist their IP's
for failing to respond. That's usually what gets a big company's
attention.

Have you complained to your provider or upstream provider? They might
have more pull or might get enough complaints that they'll cut
Paramount's servers off from their IP space. Eventually, if you can't
get to certain parts of the internet you start to figure out that you
need to fix a local problem.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -