Re: [MV] Diagnosing engine compartment noises

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 03:27:48 PDT

>From the old school, I've used a screwdriver to the ear trick many times
while away from my own tool source and I must say, it works. Kudos to the
oldtimers that taught me that trick. I also own the stethiscope that Mac Tools offered
probably 20 years ago or more. I've had to replace the rubber tubes on it but
I'll tell you, its been an indespensible tool. It blocks out some of the
outside noise so that you can hear where you want. Absolutely great for
troubleshooting clicks and bearing noises. Be forewarned though, if you have it on your
ears and start banging it around, it will rattle the dust from your brain.

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee FL
84 M1009
73 A.M. General M275A2