RE: [MV] Florida/hammered

From: Ziptar[MV (mil-veh@ziptar.com)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 16:22:18 PDT

I don't know about what that guy was up too but, if it was after curfew they
don't mess around. I was down in the area all day yesterday with a group of
folks we were just going from area to area cooking and serving meals. We fed
whoever we could find. We started at a Sheriff's sub station and then a red
cross volunteer found us and we went over to their shelter where they only
had 100 meals to feed 350 people. For some of those folks it was the first
hot meal and cold drink they had since the storm. We wound-up the night out
by the interstate at the central command area and fed National Guard troops,
fire fighters, police, etc. All in all we served up 500-550 meals total for
the day.

Anyway my point... We cooked until 11:30 and when it was time to leave
everyone but me could get on the interstate and go home, I live on the
other side of the county. I asked a sheriff deputy if I should risk cutting
through the curfew area (which starts at 9:00) or, go up the interstate and
cut back over, which was an hour out of my way.. He said to just tell anyone
that stopped me that I was out volunteering and on my way home. He gave me
his card so I wouldn't be saying "But the guy back there said..." Sure
enough I got about two miles and was flagged down at an intersection by
Miami Dade Police, I was questioned and released. I got another mile or so
and was flagged down at an intersection by some Guardsmen (wearing M-16's
and Night Vision), again I was questioned and released. I didn't get more
than a mile and a half and I was pulled over by a Charlotte County Deputy,
again questioned, I showed him the card for the deputy I spoke with. He said
I could go. When I told him it was the 3rd time I had been stopped in as
many miles he escorted me out of the curfew area.

So they aren't fooling around, even if you are going to your own house don't
try it after curfew.

On more of an MV note, I saw more HMMWV's and 5-ton trucks last night than I
think I have seen in five years. When we pulled in to setup at the command
center an M925 pulled up and parked right next to my Little VW Jetta Wagon..
Suddenly it was really little. I brought the guys some food and we shot the
shit for a few minutes. The driver gave me a tour of the beast after he
realized I was keenly interested, I guess knowing it was an M925 in the
first place was a tip off. An M925 was always lower down on the MV want list
but, after getting close up and personal with one. It's moved up a couple of
notches.