It's Home M1009

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@arrl.net)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 09:38:43 PDT

Gents and Ladies of the List's,

         Well I just drove home my first MV acquisition. A 1985 M1009,
shifts hard into second gear and waits until 50 MPH before it hits third
gear. The seller replaced what he called a defective battery, I noted when
I went to start it the idiot light for alternator 2 is not lighting and
suspect when I replace the burned out bulb that alt 2 will then go work to
charge it half of the bargain.

         This particular M1009 was operated by the State (?) of New
Hampshire so first I topped off the radiator, the heat exchanger for the
transmission is on the right side of the crossflow radiator , where the
radiator cap is and as I learned many moons ago MUST have antifreeze in the
overflow tank to keep the transmission cooler submerged or it doesn't do
it's job correctly presuming you see the overflow level rise and fall as
the engine run warm or is cold. Markings on the side of the overflow tank
tell which level to maintain.

         I will now go buy a bulb for alt number 2 idiot light and replace
it on the dash and see if alt number 2 will now charge the battery. I think
the light bulb for the number 2 alternator is a 198.

Jim

James Shanks
n1vbn@arrl.net
1985 M1009