Re: [MV] powered tandems

From: rcakitty@verizon.net
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 07:31:39 PDT

  Well, it's like this! I HOPE the military DIDN'T use these(but I must admit I don't know for sure). What these WERE(emphasis on were)was a misguided attempt to power a dead(tag or pusher)axle. There was no method to adjust belt tension,they slipped badly when wet(and during what weather conditions do you NEED additional traction!!!), IF you had them on a tag(behind the driven axle)axle and they actually did transmit some power, going forward would attempt to pickup the tag because the tension was on the top of the belt - - and lastly, if you had a flat on an inside dual tire,you had to disassemble the belt drive on that side to get at it!! Not the brightest bulb on the tree! Robert Anderson 8/24