Another 3000 mile trip completed in the M35

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 11:21:45 PDT

Hello

Just thought I would let everyone know how the 3000
mile trip went from Eau Claire, WI to Ouray, CO this
year.

First of all, if you turn up the pump and plan on
working the truck then a pyrometer is needed. I don't
have one yet but I will soon. With the extra fuel
being fed to the engine it will get hot and get hot
quick. ie, glowing orange turbo and manifold. I did
not have a meltdown but did have to watch how I drove
and pullover occasionally to let it cool down.
Monarch Pass is around 10 miles of 6% grade from
either direction and while spectacular to drive on it
is a great feeling to be at the bottom on the other
side. I stopped at the western side at a towing place
called Doty's Garage to meet the folks that own it.
(they have local ties to WI and are friends of someone
I know) anyway, he has lots of stories about people
who didn't have a good experience on Monarch Pass. In
fact while I was there a guy with a mid nineties Ford
F-250 was getting a qoute on new front brakes. On the
way down he fried everything, they got so hot the
seals in the calipers melted causing them to leak. In
a way I don't feel sorry for him.

The truck was set up with freewheeling front hubs,
supersingle 11.00's (ndcc), and had the interaxle
driveshaft removed. Traction was not a problem as
long as I stayed clear of the uneven surfaces as best
I could. When we got to Ouray I did put the splined
hubs back on and did need them on the steeper streets
and parking lots. One drawback to driving with the
interaxle off I found is the middle axle, the one with
all the torque going through it wears a lot quicker
than the other tires. All the tires before leaving
were 60-70%. Now the fronts are 45-50%, the middle
axle 25%, and the rear about 45-50%. I quess the old
Hercules does have enough power to burn up a set of
tires. The fronts did not chop near as bad as I
expected them to since adjusting the toe in to around
.0625-.100.

The truck had two atv's in the bed and the M105 had
two atv's on it as well. GVW was an estimated 18,500
lbs. The cargo box was set up with bows and canvas
also. For mileage we saw anywhere from 8.00 to 9.50
mph. This was very good in my opinion and above my
expectations. We drove non stop both ways. It took 37
hours getting there and 32 to get back.

We also got pulled over by Johhny Law three times.
Once on the way out near Fort Carson and twice in
Nebraska on the way back. Each time it was night and
the cops appeared to be bored having tailgating and
following alongside us for several miles before
actually making the stop. Each time they questioned
me on not having plates on the trailer, (WI law I'm
pretty sure doesn't require them, but I now will find
out) and an overall, "what the hell are you doing with
this thing?" They were all realitively pleasant and
except for wasting my time did not bother me.

Overall assessment of the truck now that I'm back is
this: four leaking rear hubs , one leaking injector
return line, a leaking front transfer case seal, a
leaking compressor base gasket, a leaking oil filter
canister base gasket, and a thourough wash job to get
rid of all the oily mess caused by the leaks. I
forgot to mention a bald set of tires, four new holes
in the cargo canvas, and a horn that works for #%@!.
On a good note, the new headgaskets aren't leaking.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

Sincerely,

Marc