Re: [MV] M1009 Vacuum pump diaphragm

From: Amnon (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 13:01:58 PDT

Well let me tell you what I found out so far, and what I did. First, I want
to thank everyone who answered my email.

I called Jim Henry down here in NC, and asked him if he had any vacuum
pumps. In the course of our conversation he mentioned "try and squirt some
oil into the vacuum pump, sounds like a stuck valve". I went out, took the
pump side out of the vacuum valve and squirted some WD-40 into it. Checked
the vacuum and lo and behold, the jerkiness went away and the pump was
holding at a steady 10. I went a step further (on my own this time), and
stuck the end of the hose into a paper cup with about 4 ounces of ATF and
let it suck it in. Bammmm, vacuum went up to about 25 as steady as it can
be. Jim also told me that the vacuum valve may be leaking since it wasn't
holding vacuum, so I connected the vacuum hose back to the valve, unplugged
the hose that goes to the modulator, plugged another hose to the valve and
did the same with another 4 ounces of ATF. Vacuum on this fitting now was
holding at about 9.

Drove the truck to test it, and at first I was real worried since it didn't
feel like the transmission was shifting at all. But I was wrong I guess,
since the truck will not go 60 in 1st, right ?? :-) I am serious guys,
unless you really goose it, you cannot tell it is shifting. The truck never
shifted so nice, up or down.

I am happy.

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan