M1031 questions

From: Mike and Cheryl (mleaton@netins.net)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 20:50:23 PDT

I was looking at a M1031 for a Fire Dept today in Iowa.
This one came from Wisconsin 106th engr team (quarry)?
It is in nice looking shape, has generator and air compressor
in utility box (it has Maintenance body). 1986 Chevy 19871 miles.
Papers inside said it was checked in October 03 and needed
2 batteries and these repairs: leaking left valve cover, leaking
rear seal, and cracked dash pad. I have read a lot of posts on
these vehicles here, but haven't stuck to many to memory (since
I didn't plan on owning one). We can pick it up for free and
if something seems terminal we can return it. We are a very
small Department and cannot afford to buy a new vehicle, so
this one seems like a winner. It will be used for a brush fire
truck. May have to convert to 12 volt since everything that
will be added will be 12 volt (lights, siren, starter for pump).
I am not sure how much load the 12 volt side will handle.
Anyone have an opinion on these. Any problems that come
up from this sitting around for 18 year and only having a
1000 miles a year put on it.

Thanks
Mike in Iowa