Re: [MV] M1031 questions

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 09:06:19 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike and Cheryl" <mleaton@netins.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 8:50 PM
Subject: [MV] M1031 questions

> May have to convert to 12 volt since everything that
> will be added will be 12 volt (lights, siren, starter for pump).

It is 12V for everything except the starter already. You can add all those
accessories just as you would to any 'normal' civilian Chevy. The battery
nearest the headlights is the one you'll want to use if you run your
heavy-current stuff straight to the battery.

> I am not sure how much load the 12 volt side will handle.

80-100A alternator. Same as on Police Cars. And *they* run a 35W radio,
light bar, siren and floodlights.

> Anyone have an opinion on these. Any problems that come
> up from this sitting around for 18 year and only having a
> 1000 miles a year put on it.

Seals would dry out due to lack of use/flex etc. and the radiator might need
to be checked out thoroughly by a rad shop, but I can't think of anything
else. Either way you can't beat the price. Change the glowplugs out to the
new AC60Gs very soon after you pick it up even if "it starts pretty good" on
the ones that are in there. I'd also add an aftermarket transmission cooler
sooner rather than later, and take the time to install the cooler using the
metal strapping instead of the plastic tie-things that push through the rad
core (one good 4x4 adventure using those stupid-ass plastic things through
your rad will leave your core in a real mess.)