HELP - Self Priming ??? M38A1 Dual Action Fuel Pump

From: Thomas M McHugh (tmmchugh@msn.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 10:29:29 PDT

OK learned list, how about some help.

Prior to stalling out, I had trouble accelerating to top speed, it seemed to
be starving. It seemed to run better with less throttle. Towing it at
speed suddenly caused it to start, with a pop, & then ran for a while &
slowly died out.

Now it will not run.

The Fuel pump was rebuilt last driving season & the Carb was rebuilt last
spring. Plugs are new, Points, Condenser & Rotor check out OK.

I tried putting on an inline fuel filter & cut the old in tank fuel filter
off. It now is a straight open gas line out of the tank.

I do not seem to be getting fuel & using the priming lever does not draw any
fuel. I have a hose into a jug off of the fuel pump to carb line, have
cranked it a lot, without fuel flowing.

Should the priming lever draw fuel into the empty gas line in the gas tank
???

NOW: What should I do before I remove the fuel pump & look for a problem
???

As always, any & all help is appreciated.

Tom McHugh, NJ
1952 M38A1
M-416 Trailer
MVPA, MTA

NOTE:
New Jersey State Commander
Korean War Veterans Association
"Always looking for Korean Vets to join the KWVA"

If you served during the Korean War
OR
Served in Korea since the war, join the KWVA now.