M101 Brakes

From: everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 09:23:22 PDT

List;

If I might be allowed to comment on surge brakes, electric brakes, etc.

 I have trailers with both types; now, this by no means makes me an expert.
I have been told that if you pull a trailer on public roads equipped with
electric brakes you can be required to have a set up that has a battery in
it and trailer be hooked in such a manner that should in become unhooked
from towing vehicle the brakes will come on.

The trailer I have with surge brakes has a lever in front of master cylinder
and a chain long enough to reach from lever to towing vehicle, should it
become unhooked chain will pull lever and lock brakes full on.

Now as to backing up, electric brakes only work when brake pedal in towing
vehicle is pressed. I have backed up surge brake trailer several times and
never had a brake problem, at least not one that I noticed. I think trailer
would have to be very hard to move before brakes would activate enough to
cause problem.

Everette