RE: [MV] M35a2.. 80/90 gear oil... or?

From: D O (dohe69@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 06:57:08 PDT

The oil specified for the trans, t-case, and axles is GL1, gear lube that
does not contain any extreme pressure additives. The concern is that the EP
additives attack the yellow metal parts (synchros) in the trans and t-case,
as well as not allowing enough friction for them to work properly. Others
say that it doesn't hurt anything.

I ended up finding some GL1 for the trans and t-case, and just used standard
GL5 in the axles. I also did not know what was in any of mine, but as I do
with any used vehicle, I went through all the fluids for peace of mind. You
never know what was previously used, or when.