Re: [MV] Hurricane Recovery and Mil Vehicles

From: James M. Atkinson (jmatk@tscm.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 10:30:03 PDT

It good to hear that you made it though the storm OK.

One of the best vehicles to have in a disaster is a duece, plus a diesel
fired long running gen-set, and a half dozen PLASTIC five gallon fuel cans
of diesel fuel.

Extra points if you have a diesel fired space heater (in the North East),
and a propane fired single burner cook stove, but in a pinch you can warm
up dinner by wrapping it up in foil and putting it on the engine block..

I have also found it helpful to carry some 3/8 chains of various lengths
(at least 20 feet long), a snatch strap, two wide tree straps, and a
electric winch separate from the PTO driven self recovery winch (The Warn
8274 or 16.5ti is perfect for a duece), and a two totally manual ratchet
chain based "come alongs" good for 4-5 tons.

Having a CB radio in the duece is a good idea, and it should be one that
can receive the NOAA weather channels as well as work the CB channels.
Mount the antenna to a steel pole/pipe that you bolt to the duece frame
between the cab and bed on the passenger side, or to the cab bracket at the
back of the cab. The goal is to get the BASE of the antenna above the top
of the hardtop, then use an external SWR meter to "tune up" the antenna as
required.

-jma

At 10:33 AM 9/9/2004, Winget, William Contr JTFCS J5 wrote:
>CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED
>
>During Isabel last year the local police asked me if I would park my Deuce
>across the road as a road block, preventing Rubber-necked tourists from
>driving down our street while we worked recovery.
>I had it positioned earlier to evacuate myself and family should the storm
>intensify, but it only came up to the running boards (That was enough...)
>
>Interestingly, we had gas the third and fourth day, as I filled up my
>Bronco II with fuel before the Hurricane. MANY drivers did not, as they
>went out touring the first day or two after the storm, using up their
>fuel. Then THEY were in long lines waiting and complaining, whereas we
>stayed at home, cleaned out the damage and cooked our food up with
>foraging required a few days later.
>People stay in lines bitching about water and Ice but won't walk into a
>store that sells it right beside the line. Or fail to drive 5 measly
>miles to a place that has power and businesses are open, selling gas,
>food, etc like normal. TV doesn't help much, as they immediately go back
>to "Sale" advertising and Jerry Springer as soon as possible instead of
>helping announce where functional communities are that people could locate
>the essentials without waiting in line for a handout. Fourth Day found a
>Chinese buffet open waiting for customers and we went to town with a nice
>hot meal each night while others merely complained...
>Hope Ivan doesn't head toward Florida, one is enough, two is crazy, three
>would make me move or build a pill box.
>
>Final note, What's so wrong with our Power Company systems (And were
>better than any in the World) Seems we still have too many trees falling
>on our lines VS clear cutting them prior to a storm, or (expensive)
>running systems under ground. Seems like we would want a hardened system
>for all future construction just to reduce these burdensome problems every
>Winter or Storm. IMHO.
>W Winget
>www.vmpa.us

We Expertly Hunt Real Spies, Real Eavesdroppers, and Real Wiretappers.

  James M. Atkinson Phone: (978) 546-3803
  Granite Island Group Fax: (978) 546-9467
  127 Eastern Avenue #291 Web: http://www.tscm.com/
  Gloucester, MA 01931-8008 Email: mailto:jmatk@tscm.com

   World Class, Professional, Ethical, and Competent Bug Sweeps, and
Wiretap Detection using Sophisticated Laboratory Grade Test Equipment.